Sunday, October 9, 2011

Now that you know, what's your excuse?

I don't know how I didn't know before how horrible the cocoa industry is. Maybe I heard but tuned it out because I love the by-product of the cocoa bean so much. Maybe I heard a little something about it but didn't pay attention because I was too busy to look into it further. But now that I know this:

"A report from the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture about cocoa farms in the Ivory Coast and other African countries estimated there were 284,000 children working on cocoa farms in hazardous conditions. Many of them have been taken from their families, or sold as servants. U.S. chocolate manufacturers have claimed they are not responsible for the conditions on cocoa plantations since they don't own them. This includes Hershey, Mars, Nestle, and the US division of Cadbury . . . who collectively represent pretty much every snack-size candy bar that will be available in stores this Halloween."*

...how can I even think of buying this mass produced chocolate that means tragedy for so many children?

And now that you know, how can you?

Here's a link to a list of places that source their chocolate/treats humanely and fairly.

*quote taken from this fantastic blog.

No comments: