Tuesday, November 25, 2014

#blacklivesmatter

Heartbroken and deeply disturbed after the decision to not indict Darren Wilson.

But not surprised.

A weird thing happens on social media after a high profile, racially charged incident: The racists all come out and say the most asinine of things. I'm lucky that I am judgmental enough to only surround myself with likeminded folks, a very liberal bubble. But I'm not without my fair share of side-eye worthy moments, such is this time of being subjected to the thoughts of everyone you know.

What do you say? Can you have a meaningful conversation about such an unfathomable act on Facebook? I know I've never changed anyone's mind through social media but I sure have pissed people off.

I don't know that I can carry on a rational debate about the death of Michael Brown or the lack of indictment of his murderer. When I look at photos of these murdered young, black men, I see my son reflected there. I see a very real and horrifying possibility for him. I cannot shield him from becoming a statistic, my privilege only extends so far.

When I read terrible, hateful things about a murdered young, black man, or supportive words for his murderer, I know they don't come from anyone who would be an ally to my young, black son.


"Atticus, as you grow older you will see white men cheat black men every day of your life.do not forget whenever a white man does that to a black man no matter how rich or fine of a family he comes from he is still trash."
"To Kill A Mockingbird"
Harper Lee

No comments: